The mutual international project of Institute of Society Transformation (IST) and International Visegrad Fund (IVF). The project is carried out with an assistance of Embassy of the Republic of Slovakia in Ukraine, Embassy of Poland Republic in Ukraine, Embassy of Czech Republic in Ukraine, and Embassy of Hungary Republic in Ukraine. This is the first Ukrainian project, supported by International Visegrad Fund.
The International Visegrad Fund (http://www.visegradfund.org) started its activity in 2000 as a result of the realization of agreement, signed by the prime ministers of Visegrad Group countries. Beginning from 2006 IVF engages Ukraine in Its international projects.
External Coordinator of International Visegrad Fund (IVF) for Ukraine is Mrs. Anar Rusnakova(email@example.com).
Why is this project relevant?
Today Ukraine is on the stage of administrative-territorial reform introduction and forming of European integration conception that, in particular, foresees the creation of effective models of Ukrainian cities functioning. Taking this into account, the establishment of partner relations between the cities of Ukraine and the European cities which have positive experience of the territories governing and the desire to share it with Ukrainian colleagues is important and actual for the Ukrainian party.
What is the aim of the project?
- forming of partnerships between Ukrainian and Visegrad Group countries’ cities, signing of Memorandums of Cooperation by them;
- unification of efforts, establishment of the long-term and versatile contacts, co-ordination of local self-government organs’ actions of the Ukrainian and European cities for the developmental questions of first priority deciding;
- setting of dialog between different segments of city communities of cities-partners;
- studying of Visegrad Group countries experience on administrative and market reforms and municipal management for its introduction in Ukrainian cities;
- supporting of initiatives as for conducting of mutual measures and creation of mutual transboundary structures in the different spheres of public life of cities-partners;
- distribution of the information through Internet about qualitatively new, permanent mechanisms of cooperation between Ukraine, Poland Republic, Czech Republic, Hungary Republic and the Republic of Slovakia at the level of cities;
- statement in public consciousness the necessity of deepening and development of partner relations in the European space, formation of the sphere of trust and mutual understanding in Central–East Europe Region.
What cities are the project participants?
Within the framework of the project the subjects of partner relations are bodies of local self-government of 8 small cities – four from Ukraine and four from the Visegrad Group countries (Poland Republic, Czech Republic, Hungary Republic and the Republic of Slovakia).
The project manager of IST – Nadiya Matviychuk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Basic project measures:
• Selection by the Institute of Society Transformation of four pairs of partner cities, interested in cooperation.
The fallowing pairs of cities-partners became the participants of the international project:
Gadiach city, Ukraine – Jaroměř city, Czech Republic
Zolotonosha city, Ukraine – Lučenec city, the Republic of Slovakia
Pyriatyn city and Pyriatyn District, Ukraine – Mátészalka city, Hungary Republic
Smila city, Ukraine – Kędzierzyn-Koźle city, Poland Republic
• Development and support by the Institute of society transformation the official web-sites of Ukrainian cities–project participants for integration them into a common informational space and for efficient representation of chronology of the partnership formation:
The information and relevant news from Ukrainian cities are placed on web-sites.
• Holding of Working Conference “Partnership of small cities of Ukraine and small cities of Visegrad Group countries (Slovak Republic, Czech Republic, Republic of Poland, Hungary Republic)” (Kyiv, January 23, 2007, Embassy of the Republic of Slovakia in Ukraine)
Participants of Working Conference : leaders of local self-government of four Ukrainian cities (Gadiach, Zolotonosha, Pyriatyn and Smila) and of Pyriatyn District Council which are participants of the project; representatives of Embassies of four Visegrad Group countries (Poland Republic, Czech Republic, Republic of Hungary and Republic of Slovakia) and IVF.
Objectives of the Working Conference:
• Presentation of the Ukrainian Mayors’ propositions as for cooperation with Visegrad Group countries (V4) partner cities;
• Preparation of the Ukrainian Mayors visits programs to the partner cities of V4;
• Discussing the possibility of common pool of four Ukrainian cities and four cities of the Visegrad Group countries forming;
• Formulation of questions to consider during the meeting of the Ukrainian Mayors and Visegrad Group countries Mayors which will take place within the framework of the project (Kyiv, April, 2007);
• The analysis of information development condition of Ukrainian cities – participants of the project (support and filling in of cities’ web-sites, developed by IST).
• Working visits of Ukrainian cities Mayors and municipal delegations to cities-partners from Visegrad Group countries
• Visit of Smila official delegation to Poland city-partner Kędzierzyn-Koźle
On February 28, 2007 – March 3, 2007 in the frameworks of the international project “Partnership of small cities of Ukraine and small cities of Visegrad Group countries (Slovak Republic, Czech Republic, Republic of Poland, Hungary Republic)” Smila Mayor Mr. Andriy Kolesnyk, Deputy of Smila Mayor Inga Goncharenko, Chief Executive Officer of Smila City Council Olexandr Vasylenko had working visit to city – partner Kędzierzyn-Koźle (Poland).During the visit to hospitable city Kędzierzyn-Koźle, Smila delegation had serious meetings with Kędzierzyn-Koźle municipal authority, familiarized with system of local-self-governance, visited local industrial plants, children rehabilitation centre, animal shelter, sports complex. Smila Mayor Mr. Andriy Kolesnyk and Mayor of Kędzierzyn-Koźle Mr. Wiesław Fąfara discussed possibility of Agreement of City Cooperation signing.In April, 2007 return visit of Polish partners to Smila is expected to be realized.
• The culmination phase of the project ought to be the Meeting of Ukrainian and Visegrad local self-government leaders, attached to the project realization, in Kyiv, on April, 2007 with participation of Ambassadors of Visegrad Group countries, local mass media and experts on local self-government questions and Institute of Society Transformation.
Information about organizers and participants of the project
Organizers of the project:
Institute of Society Transformation http://www.ist.osp-ua.info
The International Visegrad Fund http://www.visegradfund.org
Embassy of the Republic of Slovakia in Ukraine http://slovakia.kiev.ua
Embassy of Poland Republic in Ukraine http://www.polska.com.ua
Embassy of Czech Republic in Ukraine http://www.mzv.cz/wwwo/?zu=kiev
Embassy of Hungary Republic in Ukraine http://www.mfa.gov.hu/kulkepviselet/UA/ua/
Project participants from Ukraine:
Smila city www.smila.osp-ua.info
Gadiach city www.gadiach.osp-ua.info
Zolotonosha city www.zolotonosha.osp-ua.info
Pyriatyn city and Pyriatyn District www.pyriatyn.osp-ua.info
Project participants from Visegrad Group countries:
Lučenec city (Republic of Slovakia) http://www.lucenec.sk
Mátészalka city (Hungary Republic) http://www.mateszalka.hu
Jaroměř city (Czech Republic) http://www.jaromer-josefov.cz
Kędzierzyn-Koźle city (Poland Republic) http://www.kedzierzynkozle.pl
• Highlight of the process of the project realization and information about its participants in the research Journal "Economic Annals-XXI" and other national print editions.
Economic Annals - XXI №3-4'2006
Economic Annals - XXI №7-8'2006
Economic Annals - XXI №9-10'2006
Economic Annals - XXI №11-12'2006
Economic Annals - XXI №11-12'2006